The project aims to support vulnerable young people aged 16- 21 to develop the skills to live independently in the community.
BCM Supported Housing project began in Newtownards in 1992 in an attempt to address some of the difficulties facing young people leaving care. Due to its success the project has expanded to include other houses located at:
BCM Supported Housing aims to work in partnership with each young person and to offer them the opportunity to experience a gradual transition from residential, family or foster care to independent living.
BCM Supported Housing works with each service user to:
- Increase motivation and ability to accept responsibility.
- Improve self-care and independent living skills.
- Improve money management skills and more effective personal administrative skills.
- Increase awareness of the impact of drugs, alcohol and solvent misuse, enabling informed decision making.
- Increase awareness of their physical health and the ability to avoid serious harm.
- Enhance understanding of their emotional and mental health needs and develop appropriate coping mechanisms.
- Spend more time engaged in meaningful activities.
- Acquire appropriate accommodation and the skills necessary to maintain their tenancy.
- Identify factors contributing to their offending behaviour and make appropriate changes.
All of these projects are supported by NIHE Supporting People and the local Health & Social Services Trusts.
For further information please contact:
Robert Kirk, Project Manager Bangor
Tel: +44 (0)28 9124 8087
Claire Finlay, Project Manager Belfast
Tel: +44 (0)28 9065 4746
Richard Dougherty, Project Manager Magherafelt
Tel: +44 (0)28 7963 4842
Colette McCullagh, Project Manager, Dungannon
Sunnyside House, 32a Coalisland Road, Dungannon BT71 6LA
Tel: +44 (0)28 8775 0175
Lois Payam, Service Manager
Tel: 07810 183203
- To support young people to make the transition to independent living.
- To support young people entering education, training or employment.
- To teach social and life skills, develop self-esteem and build family relationships.
- To provide emotional and practical support.
We do this through the following services: